The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has a ton of resources on their website that can sometimes be hard to sift through. Below is a quick checklist taken from a document called “The Safe Nursery” which you can download. It offers great safety tips not only for choosing a safe crib mattress but also other nursery furniture.
If you’re unable to follow the link to the PDF, you’re welcome to download it from us.
- Slats are spaced no more than 2-3/8 inches (60 mm) apart.
- No slats are missing, loose or cracked.
- Mattress ﬁts snugly — no more than two ﬁngers width between edge of mattress and cribside.
- Mattress support is securely attached to the headboard and footboard.
- Corner posts are no higher than 1/16 of an inch (1-1/2 mm) .
- No cutouts in top edge of headboard and footboard.
- Drop-side latches cannot be easily released by a baby.
- Drop-side latches securely hold side in raised position.
- All screws, bolts and other hardware are present and tight.